Friday, April 11, 2014

A Psalm of the Scourging

That devout man, the Servant of God Don Giulio Tomasi, Prince of Lampedusa, used the following prayer, based on Psalm 50, when commemorating the scourging of Our Lord at the pillar:

Miserere mei, Deus, secundum copiosam redemptionem tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem plagarum tuarum, sana infirmitates meas.
Amplius lava me Sanguine tuo: et cruore vulnerum tuorum munda me.
Quoniam languores meos in te cognosco; dolores tui fuerunt pro me semper.
Tibi soli non fuit peccatum; nec malum unquam fecisti: ut justificeris in operibus tuis; et vincas cum judicaris.
Ecce enim absque iniquitate conceptus es; et ex Spiritu Sancto concepit te Mater tua.
Ecce enim animam meam dilexisti; et in Cruce amorem tuum manifestasti mihi.
Asperges me Sanguine tuo, et mundabor: lavabis me; et super nivem dealbabor.
Auditui meo dedisti verba lætitiæ; quando erant in Cruce ossa exaltata.
Avertisti faciem tuam a peccatis meis: et chirographum mortis meæ delesti.
Cor tuum apertum ostendisti mihi; et spiritum misericordiæ in visceribus tuis.
Ne excludas me a fructu Sanguinis tui; et gratiam redemptionis tuæ ne auferas a me.
Redde mihi antiquas misericordias tuas: et spiritu amoris tui confirma me.
Docebo iniquos pietatem tuam; et impii percutientes pectora sua, revertentur.
Libera me, ne sim reus Sanguinis tui, Deus salutis meæ; et exaltabit lingua mea misericordiam tuam.
Domine, labia tua in Cruce aperuisti; et os tuum oravit pro salvatione mea.
Quoniam si damnare voluisses, fecisses utique; morte peccatorum non delectaberis.
Sacrificium acceptabile Deo, mors tua: cor tuum apertum, et lanceatum, Deus non despiciet.
Benigne vitam tuam pro me obtulisti; et coram omnibus gentibus extra muros Hierusalem.
Tunc acceptatum est sacrificium misericordiæ pro oblationibus, et holocaustis: et tu fuisti super altare Crucis, pro omnibus vitulus. 
(Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy copious redemption. 
And according to the multitude of thy wounds, heal my infirmities.
Wash me yet more with thy Blood, and cleanse me with the gore of thy wounds.
For I know my sufferings in thee, thy sorrows were always for me.
In thee alone was no sin, nor didst thou any evil: that thou mayst be justified in thy works and mayst overcome when thou art judged. 
For behold without iniquity thou wast conceived; and by the Holy Ghost did thy mother conceive thee.
For behold thou hast loved my soul: and on the Cross thy love thou hast made manifest to me.
Thou shalt sprinkle me with thy Blood, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.
To my hearing thou didst give words of gladness: for on the Cross thy bones were exalted.
Turn away thy face from my sins, and blot out the handwriting of my death.
Thy heart laid open thou didst shew unto me; and the spirit of mercy within thy bowels.
Exclude me not from the fruit of thy Blood; and take not the grace of thy redemption from me.
Restore unto me thy mercies of old: and strengthen me with the spirit of thy love.
I will teach the unjust thy kindness; and the wicked striking their breasts shall be converted.
Deliver me, lest I be guilty of thy Blood, O God of my salvation; and my tongue shall extol thy mercy.
O Lord, thou didst open thy lips on the Cross: and thy mouth didst pray for my salvation.
For if thou hadst desired to damn, thou would indeed have done it: with the death of sinners thou wilt not be delighted.
A sacrifice acceptable to God is thy death: thine opened and lance-pierced heart God shall not despise.
Favourably thou didst offer thy life for me; and before all the nations outside the walls of Jerusalem.
Then was accepted the sacrifice of mercy in place of oblations and whole burnt offerings: and thou wast upon the altar of the Cross, in place of all bullocks.)

No comments: